Hi all. I’m back in your inbox this morning to walk you through everything you need to know about what’s happening in town these days. Here we go.
First, today’s weather:
Clouds yielding to some sun. High: 70 Low: 57.
Here are the top stories today in Portsmouth:
- Ryan Quinn cards Seacoast-best score at New Hampshire Open at Breakfast Hill Golf Club (Seacoastonline.com)
- “NH Life” Host Shares Her Favorite Granite State Spots (New Hampshire Magazine)
- ‘Anything could happen’: Dems make their pitches for the first primary of 2024 (POLITICO)
- Pneuma Systems taps home infusion pioneer (HME News)
- Celebrating 20 years: Hughes navigates IAPP, changing privacy field ‘every step of the way’ (International Association of Privacy Professionals)
- Cannonball: Outdoor Pool in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, Opens This Weekend (wokq.com)
- IT Insight: NH Tech Alliance-Uniting Tech Professionals (Seacoastonline.com)
- Grand openings, ribbon cuttings and lending programs: Seacoast business news (Seacoastonline.com)
- New TALON Case Study Reveals Significant Customer Healthcare Savings, Reduced Employee Attrition (Yahoo Finance)
- Homes in Maine’s border towns are often pricier than their New Hampshire neighbors (Bangor Daily News)
- 5 New Houses For Sale In The Portsmouth Area (Portsmouth Patch)
- Chamber Collaborative Of Greater Portsmouth: Ten Thousand Villages Has Moved Around The Corner! (Portsmouth Patch)
- Portsmouth Events: Greek Festival; Comics For K-9s; Healthy Kids; More (Portsmouth Patch)
- Portsmouth Weather Forecast For The Weekend Ahead (Portsmouth Patch)
- Jazz Music Visionary Wynton Marsalis Visit Jimmy’s Jazz & Blues Club on Saturday July 9 at 7:00 & 9:30 P.M. (Yahoo Finance)
- 🌱 Portsmouth Daily: Historical Society Hire; Best Burgers; Food Drive (Patch)
- 🌱 Hampton-North Hampton Daily: Here Comes The Beach Weather (Patch)
- ‘Footloose’ opening at Prescott Park in Portsmouth for summer 2022: ‘A joyful musical’ (Foster’s Daily Democrat)
- Portsmouth Fire Chief Todd Germain to retire after 28 years in department (Seacoastonline.com)
- Portsmouth NH Bricket Market construction ‘very disruptive’ (Seacoastonline.com)
- Portsmouth NH Pride, St. Nicholas Greek Festival, Beach and Brew Fest (Seacoastonline.com)
- Portsmouth’s 2022/23 League One fixtures in full with Sheffield Wednesday first up for Blues (Hampshire Live)
- AROUND CAPE ANN: Writers Center opening with benefit, auction (Gloucester Daily Times)
- Janice Tully | Obituary (Salem News)
From our sponsor:
Are you a Portsmouth resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now, and many of them had the same answer: fine art.
Thinking you can’t afford a Picasso? Well in 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securitization of artwork. A company called Masterworks.io built the largest platform for buying and selling art securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this powerful investment.
Meaning, you can invest in shares of million-dollar artwork. And in uncertain times, it turns out, fine art may be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where Portsmouth Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
See important Reg A Disclosures
Today in Portsmouth:
- Comedian Jim McCue (9:00 AM)
- Portsmouth GREEK FESTIVAL (12:00 PM)
- Sunset Lighthouse Cruise – Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce (7:00 PM)
- Portsmouth Paddle Co. | PUBLIC Sunset Tour (7:15 PM)
- Footloose! Presented by Service Credit Union (8:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Prescott Park Arts Festival: “Footloose, presented by Service Credit Union on the Wilcox Industries Corp. Main Stage, opens this Friday night! We are so excited to share this joyful musical with you all. Check out this great article from Seacoastonline.com and be sur…” (Prescott Park Arts Festival via Facebook)
- Portsmouth Professional Firefighters Local 1313: “Check this out! Truck 2 is making an appearance at the @newenglandfirechiefs show this weekend! This truck was designed with input from both labor and management so that we end up with a truck that will be an invaluable asset to the city…” (Portsmouth Professional Firefighters Local 1313 via Facebook)
- Seacoast Eat Local: “The Exeter Farmers’ Market is *TODAY* (Thursday, June 23) from 2:30-6pm at the scenic Swasey Parkway. This market has over 25 vendors and provides one-stop shopping for a wide variety of local food and goods, including: fruits and veggie…” (Seacoast Eat Local via Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “Friday, y’all—at Prescott Park Arts Festival #TouristsAndTownies — love the lede! 🗞Granite State News Collaborative via Seacoastonline.com READ: https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/entertainment/2022/06/23/footloose-prescott-park-ports…” (The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth via Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “Did anyone get a cryptic postcard in their snail mail? www.PortsmouthStreetlife.com #streetlife #SummerDetour2022″ (The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth via Facebook)
- Portsmouth Historical Society: “Only a few seats left for this Saturday’s workshop with Chris Van Dusen” (Portsmouth Historical Society via Facebook)
- Portsmouth Public Library (NH): “Calling all crafty folk! 🗣 Join us in the library garden tomorrow evening, Friday, from 5-6:30 for an end-of-the-week, take-a-deep-breath, drop-in craft time. Bring your current work in progress, a beach chair, and your chillest vibes. …” (Portsmouth Public Library (NH) via Facebook)
- Krempels Center: “Our fiscal year ends June 30th. We have just 7 days until we close the books, and need your help to keep us strong! Donate today: www.krempelscenter.org/give Krempels Center has continued to increase its capacity to meet the challenges a…” (Krempels Center via Facebook)
- Jeff Cote: “I bring them out for Summer but now they’re huge. I don’t know what to do at this point. This is year 3. #succulents” (Jeff Cote via Instagram)
- Seacoast Outright: “Portsmouth PRIDE 2022 – Saturday, June 25! Join us for the PRIDE March at 12pm at Market Square, and the Marketplace and Main Stage featuring Mary Lambert starting at 1p at Strawbery Banke! Full lineup at seacoastoutright.org #Portsmouth…” (Seacoast Outright via Facebook)
- Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation: “We need your help! We found this today at Foss Beach with Franchise Business Review, and we don’t know what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Please comment below!” (Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation via Facebook)
- Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival: “Our next single-chantey Big Sing (hosted by Linn Phipps and Jim Lucas and sponsored by PMFF) is Shenandoah on Thursday, June 30. We enjoyed our first Zoom single-chantey Big Sing so much (Santy Anna) that we did it again (Rio Grande). We…” (Portsmouth Maritime Folk Festival via Facebook)
- HAVEN NH: “Thanks to the amazing volunteers from Liberty Mutual helping to beautify our shelter by painting and staining! It was a much needed face lift and we are so grateful. #LibertyServes #VolunteersAreLoveInMotion” (HAVEN NH via Facebook)
- Seacoast Outright: “Thank you to The Glitter Lab @theglitterlabvnh for being an Out and About Sponsor for Portsmouth PRIDE! Check out all the events on our site at www.seacoastoutright.org/pride We’ll see you at Portsmouth PRIDE on Saturday, June 25!” (Seacoast Outright via Facebook)
- Portsmouth Historical Society: “Reminder to everyone heading downtown this weekend, whether it’s to the Chris Van Dusen workshop, the Portsmouth Pocket Garden Tour, the Pride Parade, or one of the other events happening. Parking is going to be BANANAS, so skip the hass…” (Portsmouth Historical Society via Facebook)
- The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth: “North Country Hard Cider news!” (The Chamber Collaborative of Greater Portsmouth via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
That’s it for today. I’ll see you soon!
— Tony Schinella
About me: Award-winning journalist for Patch in NH (off and on) since May 2011. Sites: Amherst, Concord, Exeter, Hampton-North Hampton, Londonderry, Merrimack, Milford, Portsmouth, Windham. Email: [email protected] LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/an…